Cerritos College Mission
Board Approved on October 16, 2013
Cerritos College values its diverse student population and is committed to providing these students with high quality, comprehensive instructional programs and support services that improve student success and offer clear pathways to achieve personal, educational, and career goals. In doing so, the college develops in students the knowledge, skills, and values that prepare them to be productive participants in the global community.
Driven by the pursuit of unparalleled student success, Cerritos College will provide access to innovative learning opportunities that promote the power of learning.
We are guided by our core values of:
- supporting and promoting Student Success;
- achieving Excellence/Quality in teaching, learning, service and in college processes;
- supporting Innovation and Creativity to enhance and enrich learning and services;
- celebrating Diversity in people, philosophies, cultures, beliefs, programs and learning environments;
- promoting respect and trust in all People be they students, community members and employees;
- fostering Integrity as the foundation for all that we do;
- developing, nurturing and supporting Partnerships with our educational, business and industry colleagues;
- planning and supporting Comprehensiveness in our curricular offerings; and supporting Inclusiveness of individual, campus and community viewpoints in collaborative decision-making processes.
Cerritos College embraces community, diversity, innovation, and active learning. We strive for high academic and ethical standards, as well as academic freedom; we believe in the worth and dignity of all of our learners. In educating, we consider the learner's cognitive growth and emotional and physical well-being. The college prepares individuals for full participation in a complex democratic society as citizens and leaders, for the fulfillment of personal needs, and for the future. We believe that the purpose of education is to cultivate critical thinking skills and enhance the quality of life.
The District provides a technologically advanced educational community in which students pursue a variety of educational goals: attainment of an associate degree, transfer to a four-year university, career/technical degree or certificate, or job skills. Achievement of these goals is strongly supported with instruction in basic skills as well as with student and instructional support services. Beyond these college credit programs and services, Cerritos College actively enriches the surrounding community through its varied community education programs.
The College has a student body that is 54.6% Hispanic, 12.4% Caucasian, 10.2% Asian/Pacific Islander, 3.6% Filipino, 7.3% Black, 0.5%Native American, and the rest undeclared. Students come from more than 30 California cities, with 60% of the students coming from cities outside the college district, bypassing other community colleges to attend Cerritos. Cerritos College ranked third in California and sixth in the nation among Hispanic-serving community colleges for the number of associate degrees granted to Hispanic students in 2006.