An Academic Renewal procedure permits alleviation of previously recorded sub-standard academic performance which is not reflective of a student's present demonstrated ability and level of performance. The permanent academic record shall be annotated in such a manner that all work remains legible, ensuring a true and complete academic history.
- A student may request that up to 30 units of substandard course work attempted to be annotated and disregarded in the computation of the student's grade point average or requirements for a degree. Only those requested courses with substandard grades will be disregarded.
- At least twenty-four (24) units of college work from an accredited institution with a grade point average of 2.0 must be completed after the 30 units of coursework to be alleviated.
- A student may be granted academic renewal only once.
- No alleviated course work shall apply toward degree requirements.
- In the petition, the student must specify the course(s) to be considered under the academic renewal policy as well as the term in which the course work was attempted.
- Some senior-level institutions and, possibly, certain out of state community colleges do not honor academic renewal. It is the student's responsibility to insure that his/her transfer institution will approve of academic renewal from Cerritos College.
A student may petition for academic renewal at the Office of Admissions Records, & Services.