June 10 2004 Minutes


VTEA Research and Accountability Committee


June 10, 2004

State Chancellor’s Office – Sacramento

1102 Q Street

Fourth Floor, Conference room 4000-01


Call to Order: The meeting was called to order by committee chair, Nick Kremer at 10:09 a.m.

Welcome and Introductions:

Present were:

Nick Kremer, Cerritos College, Committee Chair

Hazel Hill, San Joaquin Delta

Willard Hom, Chancellor’s Office

Mike Moyers, PossibilityWORKS, Inc.

Alfred Ramirez, Glendale College (for Karen Holden-Ferkich)

Holliday Wagner, East Los Angeles College

Vicki Warner, Chancellor’s Office

Chuck Wiseley, Chancellor’s Office

Kathleen Wishnick, American River College

Outcomes for the day:

Update on related projects/issues

Review years work

Develop the dissemination project

Set goals for new year


Collaborative project – Mike Moyers presented a final report to the committee on the Collaborative Project. There were ten training sessions with an eleventh expected in the Fall. In all, 204 people were trained, 76 faculty, and 78 Administrators as well as some counselors and researchers. Several Vice Presidents of Instruction were in attendance. Fifty-nine colleges were represented. The three hours of intense training was all in all well received. Some thought it was too little time, others felt it was too much. Accreditation requirements were a major factor in motivating people to attend the training. The training went beyond the basics of accessing the Core Indicator and how they were arrived at. It emphasized a program improvement process using the core indicators and other data.

Regarding recommendations and comments, Mike feels the data piece should be incorporated. He also thinks six-hour sessions at every college are important. After discussion the group decided that the best solution would be two-day consecutive three-hour sessions. Mike commented that the project received a larger response than anticipated. The small group process worked well and was well received by attendees. The only negative was that when a group was over five, it became unmanageable.

Nick thanked Mike for his work on the project. The need was to move beyond Core Indicators. Mike is responsible for the training manual, marketing and planning. The other aspects in the initial planning may have not been completed, but were not Mike’s responsibility.

Chuck mentioned that they didn’t renew the Accountability Collaborative, but asked how much basic training should be offered on a yearly basis.

Hazel suggested that the committee possibly recommend funding continued basic training.

Chuck mentioned that the train the trainer format used in 02/03 – two representatives per region, was well received. It is important to have a few key people trained to disseminate information to others.

Nick suggested that the committee make a recommendation for the need for basic training on Core Indicators. It should include:

What are core indicators?

How do you access them?

How do you use them?

How do they help with student learning outcomes (accreditation)?

The committee agreed.

Chair’s report: Nick commented on an article from the Chronicle on the new commission debates accountability regarding the voucher plan in Colorado.

Nick reported the information/dissemination project that we conceptualized at our previous meeting has not been started due to time constraints.

Crosswalk of SOC Codes to TOP CodesChuck mentioned that we need to construct a crosswalk from TOP codes to SOC codes. LMI can’t run projections off of OES codes any longer. A SOC/TOP code crosswalk is being piloted. Ann Dodey from Riverside is working on this project. Once she gets a handle on how much work it will take to complete, we will either do it through the committee or set up a separate project.

Non-Credit Accountability Chuck stated that whatever happens for Perkins Reauthorization, we’ll have to address non-credit skill attainment. The only measure we have come up with is 75% completion of course.

Vicki Warner reported that she is about to undertake a project as part of her role with non-credit education. The goal is to better align credit and non-credit education. She sees the parts of this as: an input process including interviews and focus groups; curriculum development; and performance accountability. This will receive separate funding from the State Chancellor’s Office. She asked if the Committee wanted a role in this. After discussion, the Committee members concluded they had an interest in the accountability piece but would see itself a part of the larger project only if it would facilitate the effort. It was left to Vicki as to whether or not she wished to use this Committee to help move the project.

State Chancellor’s Office ReportChuck reported that the Core Indicator Report is finally available online. He mentioned an email about the House version of Perkins and it seemed very clear that this is not going to happen. In September there will be an automatic extension of the act unless Congress Acts. What happens next year depends on election results.

Regarding the Chancellor’s Office, Chuck is uncertain of the direction due to the anticipated reorganization of The Chancellor’s Office by August. SB1817 is moving through the Legislature to redefine the chancellor’s office status. All is on hold and in flux. They have lost a significant amount of staff due to lay offs, retirements and transferring to other departments.

Accountability Training Project 04/05: The contract with the Norena Badway group is almost complete. It’s been signed by Victoria Morrow. That prompted Norena to prepare flyers for the regional chairs to expedite the recruitment of participants. The allotment throguht the regional consortium for each college will be $4000. It can go for travel expenses and stipends or all travel. There are 16 workshops available for scheduling. It will be a two-day and one-night session at a very nice location. They would prefer two days and two nights, but they can’t justify it. It will start at noon and end at 2pm on the following day.

Nick asked what if the project would have any connection to this committee. Chuck responded that he was sure Norena would want to use the Committee for input.

Discussion of workforce issues:

WIA Reauthorization – on hold, federally not moving forward.

VTEA Reauthorization – Already reported on by Chuck in the Back to Future report.

President’s Community College Initiative—no news.

California Bill, SB1639 – will be extending education allowed to meet work requirements for CalWorks recipients to two years and work study will be used to meet requirements and is trying to work on a Cal Grand with emphasis on family size.

Committee Work Plan for 2004-05:

Goals –Committee held a discussion of goals for the coming year. A set of draft goals was developed. (See attached.)

Meeting Dates: The committee set the following tentative meeting dates for 2004-05:

Friday, September 10, 2004

Friday, February 4, 2005

An potential April meeting held the Wednesday morning of the CCCAOE Conference

Friday, May 20, 2005

Wrap up and adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at 2pm.