What Is Canvas?
Canvas is a Learning Management System (LMS) (also known as a Course Management System/CMS) by Instructure. It is the CMS selected by the California Community College Online Education Initiative (CCC OEI) to be the Common Course Management System (CCMS) for the OEI in June, 2015. For more information on the CCC OEI process for selection of Instructure Canas and other resources pertaining to Canvas, please visit the CCC OEI Common Course Management System Consideration Resources site. A few highlights from this site are included here.
Canvas is a modern educational platform that supports a deep focus on teaching and learning. The robust features of Canvas help to enhance teaching and learning beyond the physical classroom.
- Intuitive - A clean interface for desktops, laptops, tablets, and smart phones.
- Flexible - Allows customization to support a range of pedagogical styles and formats.
- Dynamic and Cloud-Based - Continual improvements to features and support documentation.
- Engaging - Instructors can easily connect with students through rich video, audio, text chatting, and discussion board options.
- Reliable – Canvas support by phone, chat, or email is available 24/7/365 for general questions about getting started in Canvas, how to use its features, and for troubleshooting assistance.
- Efficient – Provides faster and easier grading capabilities.
Access Cerritos Canvas