Distance Education - TalonNet Discussion Boards
- The Discussion Board allows you to publicly communicate with your fellow site participants via forums and privately through the built-in private messaging. To access the Discussion Board tool click the Discussion Board link on the Tool Menu.
- The lower section of the Discussion Board displays the discussion categories.
- In these categories are the discussion boards. By default the discussion titles are Questions, Class Discussions, and Student Lounge however these and the category titles are dependant upon your instructor’s preferences.
- Before the title of each discussion is an icon denoting if there are new messages (posts that you have not read). Also displayed for each discussion is the number of topics and the number of messages, and when and who posted the last message to the discussion board.
- Click the discussion title to view the board’s topics, click the topic title to view posts.
- By default posts are listed from oldest to newest.
- Every post contains the following information: date posted, the posters name, when that person joined the course and the total number of messages the person has posted.
- You may view a poster’s profile by clicking the profile button.
- To send a person a private message click the pm button.
- You may quote a person’s original message in your own post by pressing the quote button. You may also rate a post by choosing a rating from 1 to 5 from the drop-down.
- To reply to a discussion post, click the Post Reply button at the top or bottom of the page.
- Enter your message in the text area.
- You may format your message using the buttons above the text area. You can also add emoticons (smilies) to your message using the icons to the left. When you format your message or add smilies you will see code added to your message but will not see the results until you submit.
- Normally you will want to leave the options below the text area as is however you do have the choice of disabling HTML, BB code, smilies, appending your signature, or to be notified when a reply to your post is made.
- You may also attach files to your post using the Attach Files button. Once you press the Attach Files button the page will display an additional panel. Press the Browse button to attach a file. After browsing and adding your file you may enter an optional description of the attached file as well as choosing to add more attachments.
- Once finished press the submit button.
- Your message will appear at the bottom of the discussion board. Notice that since you are the poster you are able to edit your post by clicking the Edit button.
- Once you have finished reading the posts for all boards you should mark them as read by clicking the Mark All As Read. This will allow you to easily see which boards have new activity the next time you visit.
Previous Page | Next Page