CalFresh - Am I Eligible?
Am I Eligible?
Most Cerritos College students are! If you meet the program guidelines, you may qualify for CalFresh if you answer “yes” to questions 2 and 3 below:
- Determining household size:
Household is defined as a person living alone or a group of people living together (they do not have to be related) who buy food and make meals together.
- Income Requirement:
Is your household’s GROSS monthly income (before taxes and deductions) within the limits in the *chart below?
Note: Student Financial Aid is not counted as income for CalFresh.
*These income guidelines are effective October 1, 2016 through September 30, 2017, and are updated every October.
Note: Individuals receiving SSI/SSP in California are not eligible for CalFresh, but other members of the household may be.
Does anyone in your household have a social security card or is anyone in your household a lawful permanent resident?
If you are a student between the ages of 18 and 49, enrolled in at least 6 units, have no meal plan (or have a meal plan that provides ten or less of your meals/week), you must also meet any ONE of the following:
- Working and getting paid for an average of 20 hours per week OR a total of 80 hours
- Approved (or awarded or accepted) for federal or state work study, anticipates working,
and has not refused a work assignment (can still be eligible even if a work study
job has not begun or is not currently available).
- Receiving Cal Grant A OR B AND is not married, 25 years of age or younger and has
income less than $50,000.
- Be enrolled in a state funded program that increases employability (EOP, EOPS, WIOA, DSPS, CARE, UC McNair, Puente Project, or MESA)
- Be enrolled in a program that increases employability for current and former foster
youth (Guardian Scholars, FYSI, CAFYES, ETV or Extended Foster Care).
- Be exerting parental control over a dependent household member under the age of 6
OR between the age of 6 and 12 with no adequate childcare (as determined by the county
on a case-by-case basis).
- Be a single parent of a dependent household member under the age of 12 AND enrolled
full-time (12+ units).
- Participating in the CalFresh Employment and Training Program (CFET) or be a recipient of CalWorks or AFDC (Aid to Families with Dependent Children).
Other things to consider:
- Unpaid internships or volunteer work do not count towards the work requirement.
- Students who live with their parents must be 22 years of age or older to apply as
an individual household.
- International, DACA, and DREAM students may not be eligible, even with a work VISA/SSN
- Lawful Permanent Residents (LPRs) may be eligible.
- Students with a state certified disability only need to meet basic eligibility.