CalFresh - Am I Eligible?

Person holding fruits

Am I Eligible?

Most Cerritos College students are! If you meet the program guidelines, you may qualify for CalFresh if you answer “yes” to questions 2 and 3 below: 

  1. Determining household size:
    Household is defined as a person living alone or a group of people living together (they do not have to be related) who buy food and make meals together.

  2. Income Requirement:
    Is your household’s GROSS monthly income (before taxes and deductions) within the limits in the *chart below?

       Note: Student Financial Aid is not counted as income for CalFresh.  


Income Requirement Table
*These income guidelines are effective October 1, 2016 through September 30, 2017, and are updated every October.

Note: Individuals receiving SSI/SSP in California are not eligible for CalFresh, but other members of the household may be.

  1. Citizenship:
    Does anyone in your household have a social security card or is anyone in your household a lawful permanent resident?

If you are a student between the ages of 18 and 49, enrolled in at least 6 units, have no meal plan (or have a meal plan that provides ten or less of your meals/week), you must also meet any ONE of the following: 

  • Working and getting paid for an average of 20 hours per week OR a total of 80 hours a month.

  • Approved (or awarded or accepted) for federal or state work study, anticipates working, and has not refused a work assignment (can still be eligible even if a work study job has not begun or is not currently available).

  • Receiving Cal Grant A OR B AND is not married, 25 years of age or younger and has income less than $50,000.

  • Be enrolled in a state funded program that increases employability (EOP, EOPS, WIOA, DSPS, CARE, UC McNair, Puente Project, or MESA)
  • Be enrolled in a program that increases employability for current and former foster youth (Guardian Scholars, FYSI, CAFYES, ETV or Extended Foster Care).

  • Be exerting parental control over a dependent household member under the age of 6 OR between the age of 6 and 12 with no adequate childcare (as determined by the county on a case-by-case basis).

  • Be a single parent of a dependent household member under the age of 12 AND enrolled full-time (12+ units).

  • Participating in the CalFresh Employment and Training Program (CFET) or be a recipient of CalWorks or AFDC (Aid to Families with Dependent Children).


Other things to consider:

  • Unpaid internships or volunteer work do not count towards the work requirement.

  • Students who live with their parents must be 22 years of age or older to apply as an individual household.

  • International, DACA, and DREAM students may not be eligible, even with a work VISA/SSN
  • Lawful Permanent Residents (LPRs) may be eligible.

  • Students with a state certified disability only need to meet basic eligibility.


Stay Connected

Site Map | Accreditation | Disclaimer | Report a Website Issue | Document Readers | Gainful Employment | Safety Reporting | Last Update: 7/9/2018