Chafee Grant

The California Chafee Grant Program gives money to current or former foster youth to use for career and technical training or college courses. 

To qualify, you must be eligible or have been eligible, for foster care between your 16th and 18th birthday and not have reached your 22nd birthday as of July 1 of the award year.

You must be enrolled in

  • an eligible career or technical school or college
  • a course of study at least half-time
  • a course of study that is at least one year long and maintain satisfactory academic progress - get good grades.

To apply, you must file two forms:

If you have questions, you can contact the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) at 1(888)224-7268 or e-mail your questions to

WebGrants for Students Website:
This website can be used to check the status of your Chafee grant.













Stay Connected

Site Map | Accreditation | Disclaimer | Report a Website Issue | Document Readers | Gainful Employment | Safety Reporting | Last Update: 2/20/2018