The California Chafee Grant Program gives money to current or former foster youth to use for career and technical training or college courses.
To qualify, you must be eligible or have been eligible, for foster care between your 16th and 18th birthday and not have reached your 22nd birthday as of July 1 of the award year.
You must be enrolled in
- an eligible career or technical school or college
- a course of study at least half-time
- a course of study that is at least one year long and maintain satisfactory academic progress - get good grades.
To apply, you must file two forms:
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) www.fafsa.gov
- California Chafee Grant Program Application www.chafee.csac.ca.gov/default.asp
If you have questions, you can contact the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) at 1(888)224-7268 or e-mail your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.