Cerritos College Health Department (HPEDA)
Interested in trying yoga, Pilates, weight training, and swimming classes?
For more information, contact Ni Bueno at
firstname.lastname@example.org or 562.860.2451 x2874
Tip of the week:
Remember that all you can do is to do your best each day, hope for the best, and take things in stride.
Patience, persistence, education, and being committed in trying: Freedom from fear
Dimensions of Wellness
- Social: Good communication skills, developing the ability for intimacy, and having supportive people in our lives is essential to social or interpersonal wellness. Socially healthy individuals are able to interact with and relate to others.
- Physical: Physical health is eating well, exercising, making responsible decisions about sex, getting regular dental and medical checkups, avoiding harmful habits, recognizing the symptoms of disease, and preventing injuries.
-Spiritual: Spiritual healthy individuals are able to give meaning and purpose to their lives. They are able to love, forgive, and achieve a sense of inner peace, satisfaction and confidence.
Dimensions of Wellness (Con't)
- Intellectual: An active mind is essential to overall wellness. Openness to new ideas, critical thinking, a sense of humor, curiosity, and creativity contribute to intellectual wellness.
- Emotional: Emotional wellness includes self-esteem, trust, self-acceptance, self-confidence, self-control, satisfying relationships, and the ability to share feelings. Emotionally healthy individuals feel good about themselves.
- Environmental: Environmental or planetary wellness is learning about and protecting yourself against air, noise, and water pollution, ultraviolet radiation from sunlight, and second hand smoke. We must hold the world in trust for other forms of life and future generations.
How autonomous are you?
- I cannot express my feelings because I fear disapproval or rejection
- I am able to find guidance within and respond to whatever happens in life
Mon. - Thurs. 7:00AM - 8:00PM and Fri. 8:30AM - 5:00PM
Instructional Dean, HPEDA: Daniel E. Smith, Ph.D. email@example.com
The Health Education department is committed to the advancement of the total health and well-being of Cerritos College’s diverse population (age, ethnicity, lifestyles, economic status, etc.) through helping students become health literate. Health education incorporates cognitive, affective, and psychomotor domains to create self-directed learners who will be able to obtain, interpret and understand basic health concepts and a greater awareness of her/his behaviors and attitudes. Health education promotes the knowledge and skills to better achieve and maintain physical, social, emotional, spiritual, intellectual, and environmental health. The knowledge and skills gained from comprehensive health education courses contribute to a better quality of life for the individual, her/his family, and the community.
The Health Education Department has curriculum focused on the objectives of fostering emotional and physical well-being of the student. Our mission is to provide knowledge of concepts related to healthy living, lifelong wellness, stress-reduction techniques, and an understanding of the components of physical fitness. Also, to develop the proficiency of students to be competent in using such information and services in ways that will enhance overall well-being. The primary objectives of Health Education program are the promotion and importance of health lifestyles and physical fitness, cognitive development, social, and emotional development. The Health Education curriculum provides the student with the opportunity for expanding her or his knowledge on all health related issues facing them daily. Cognitively, the Health Education curriculum provides students the opportunity to gain experience and knowledge of physical fitness and health concepts that enhance their quality of life. In the social and emotional domain, the curriculum provides students the opportunity for development of interpersonal relationships and an increased appreciation and respect for their health and the health of those around them.
The Health Education Department currently offers approximately 34 sections of classes. Each health education course fulfills the requirement for Cerritos College’s Health and Wellness Proficiency (Plan A), Self-Development in the State University General Education Certification Requirements, and transfers and articulates with California State University (Area E) and University of California.
The most important contribution of the Health Education Department is to the philosophy and objective of Cerritos College in the area of fostering physical well-being to a diverse student population. The Health Education courses create life-long learners and strive to enhance the student's current and future quality of life. Health Education courses provide intellectual knowledge in all components of Health. The creation of healthy students requires interdisciplinary partnerships that involve many constituencies working together to address and educate on critical health concerns.