Announcements, Activities, and Events
Advanced Biology Seminars Information Session - Tuesday, August 25, 2015, 11 am, S 103 (Science Building, room 103). An exceptional group of students will be invited to join one of our advanced biology seminars. There will be two seminars in the Fall semester with a limit of 20 students per seminar. One seminar, medical research, will explore biology and physiology from a scientist's point of view. This seminar is created specifically for students interested in careers in medicine or research. A second seminar, Strange Biology, will investigate the biology and physiology of extreme organisms. More than just looking good on your resume, Advanced Biology Seminars are like personal training for future scientists and medical professionals! For more information about the Advanced Biology Seminars, please contact Dr. Chace Tydell at email@example.com, or at (562) 860-2451 ext. 2684.
- Project HOPE 2015 Student Orientation and Learning Community Information Session – Saturday, September 19, 2015, 8 am – 1 pm, S 201 (Science building, room 201). This event is open to all new Project HOPE students, current Project HOPE students, any non-Project HOPE student who is interested in finding out more about Project HOPE and its new learning community, and the family members (e.g. parents, guardians, spouses, etc.) of the students who attend the orientation. Expect to see all of the following at the orientation/information session; a Project HOPE student alumni panel, a presentation about Project HOPE and the services it provides, a presentation about careers in healthcare, and a presentation about the new Project HOPE learning community. For more information about the event, please click on the following link and download a copy of the orientation/information session flyer - Project HOPE 2015 Student Orientation and Learning Community Information Session flyer.
Care Harbor/LA 2015 Community Health Fair Volunteer Opportunity - Thursday, October 15 - Sunday, October 18, 2015, Los Angeles Sports Arena, 3939 South Figueroa, Los Angeles. Online registration is required for all participants at the following link: Care Harbor/LA 2015 Community Health Fair Volunteer Opportunity
- Fall 2015 Pre-health Advising Hours, Dr. Chace Tydell - Mondays (11:30 am - 1 pm), Tuesdays (11:30 am - 1:30 pm), Wednesdays (11:30 am - 1 pm), and Fridays (11 am - 12 pm), Science building - office S 115.
- STEM Career Counselors, Clara T. Ross and Allison Fujii - Be sure to make an appointment with the STEM career counselors in the Career Services department, and while you are there, be sure to check out all of the wonderful services that they have to offer! To visit the Career Services department's homepage, please click on the following link: Career Services Department Homepage.
Grupo de Padres para el Proyecto HOPE/Project HOPE Parent Group - to find out more about the Grupo de Padres para el Proyecto HOPE/Project HOPE Parent Group and the numerous educational workshops which the group sponsors, please click on the following link: Grupo de Padres para el Proyecto HOPE/Project HOPE Parent Group webpage. To download a copy of the Grupo de Padres para el Proyecto HOPE/Project HOPE Parent Group monthly meeting calendar flyer, please click on the following link: Grupo de Padres para el Proyecto HOPE/Project HOPE Parent Group Monthly Meeting Calendar Flyer.
- Internship, Mentorship, Research Program - If you are interested in a unique and rigorous experience, be sure to check out the UC Davis Pre-Medical Surgical Internship, Mentorship, and Research Program at the following link: UC Davis Pre-Medical Surgical Internship, Mentorship, and Research Program.
- USC Primary Care Physician Assistant Program Course Equivalencies by College/University - To find out more about which courses fulfill the prerequisites for the USC Primary Care Physician Assistant Program, please click on the following link to download a copy of the USC Primary Care Physician Assistant Program Course Equivalencies handout: USC Primary Care Physician Assistant Program Course Equivalencies.
- Medical Scribes - If you are interested in pursuing a career in healthcare and you would like to have more exposure to the medical field, you might want to consider becoming a medical scribe. A medical scribe is a trained medical information manager who specializes in charting physician/patient encounters in real-time during medical exams. To find out more about medical scribes, click on the following link to download a handout from the California Health Information Association convention, which was held on June 10, 2014: Medical Scribes: A Career Choice for HIM Professionals.