What's new?: Activities, Announcements, and Events
- Advanced Biology Seminars Information Session - Tuesday, January 20, 2015, 11 am, S 201 (Science Building, room 201). Application deadline: January 28, 2015. An exceptional group of students will be invited to join one of our advanced biology seminars. There will be two seminars in the Spring semester with a limit of 20 students per seminar. One seminar, medical research, will explore biology and physiology from a scientist's point of view. This seminar is created specifically for students interested in careers in medicine or research. A second seminar, Strange Biology, will investigate the biology and physiology of extreme organisms. Sample topics for Strange Biology will include 'Life in Boiling Water' and 'True Mummies'. More than just looking good on your resume, Advanced Biology Seminars are like personal training for future scientists and medical professionals. To download a copy of the information session flyer, please click on the following link: Advanced Biology Spring Semester Information Session Flyer. To download a copy of the Advanced Biology Seminars information handout, please click on the following link: Advanced Biology Seminars Information Handout. To download a copy of the Advanced Biology Seminars application, please click on the following link: Advanced Biology Seminars Application.
- CSULB Bridges to the Baccalaureate Program - The Bridges to the Baccalaureate Program is a special program for Cerritos College and Long Beach City College students. The focus of this summer program is to enhance the students' academic competitiveness through hands-on research experience. These experiences also provide a unique opportunity to take advantage of the latest scientific information, through special seminars and field trips with industry partners. Bridges students are also provided with individualized mentoring and career advisory activities. To find out more about the Bridges to Baccalaureate Program, please click on the following link: Bridges to Baccalaureate Program Information. To download a copy of the Bridges to Baccalaureate Program application, please click on the following link: CSULB Bridges to Baccalaureate Program Application. The application deadline for the Bridges to Baccalaureate Program is Friday, February 27, 2015, at 4 pm.
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln Summer Research Program - This intensive summer research experience provides mentoring and research experiences while allowing scholars to preview graduate school life. Nebraska's summer program offers research opportunities in the science, technology, engineering, and mathematics fields, in addition to an interdisciplinary Minority Health Disparities program aimed at conducting cutting edge social and behavioral research into understanding and reducing health disparities and in diversifying minority health researchers. To see a complete listing of faculty mentors, research project descriptions, and information about the program's benefits, please click on the following link: University of Nebraska-Lincoln Summer Research Program.
- From Maddi's Closet Annual Toy Drive for Children's Hospital Los Angeles (11/15/14 - 12/20/14) - Please join Coldwell Banker Alliance Realty in supporting the "From Maddi's Closet Annual Toy Drive" for Children's' Hospital Los Angeles (CHLA). Collect toys for children ages 0 - 18. Your gift will give a child a little happiness at a very difficult time! Toy Donation Ideas: books, dolls, Play-Doh, videos (PG-13 & under), board games, card games, Barbies, Hot Wheels, coloring books & crayons, puzzles, etc. *Please NO stuffed toys due to the possibility of bacterial contamination. All new & unwrapped gifts may be dropped off at: 15025 E. Whittier Blvd, Whittier, CA 90603. To download a copy of the event flyer, please click on the following link: From Maddi's Closet Annual Toy Drive for CHLA.
- STEM Career Counselors, Clara T. Ross and Allison Fujii - Be sure to make an appointment with the STEM career counselors in the Career Services department, and while you are there, be sure to check out all of the wonderful services that they have to offer! To visit the Career Services department's homepage, please click on the following link: Career Services Department Homepage.
- UCLA Summer Medical and Dental Education Program (SMDEP) - If you are interested in a six-week summer enrichment program in which students examine a variety of healthcare issues affecting medically underserved communities through problem-based learning cases, lectures, clinical experiences, small group discussions, and a research project, then be sure to check out the UCLA SMDEP at the following link: UCLA Summer Medical and Dental Education Program (SMDEP). The online application is now available. The deadline to apply to the UCLA Summer Medical and Dental Education Program is March 1, 2015.
- USC Primary Care Physician Assistant Program Course Equivalencies by College/University - To find out more about which courses fulfill the prerequisites for the USC Primary Care Physician Assistant Program, please click on the following link to download a copy of the USC Primary Care Physician Assistant Program Course Equivalencies handout: USC Primary Care Physician Assistant Program Course Equivalencies.
- Medical Scribes - If you are interested in pursuing a career in healthcare and you would like to have more exposure to the medical field, you might want to consider becoming a medical scribe. A medical scribe is a trained medical information manager who specializes in charting physician/patient encounters in real-time during medical exams. To find out more about medical scribes, click on the following link to download a handout from the California Health Information Association convention, which was held on June 10, 2014: Medical Scribes: A Career Choice for HIM Professionals.