Men's Swimming Recruiting
Thank you for your interest in Cerritos College swimming. Within the last two seasons, the Cerritos College Falcons have become one of the preeminent programs in the state of California. The Falcon swimming team has fast become one of the elite teams in the state and is considered an early-season contender for the South Coast Conference championship, as well as a threat to compete for the state championship.
In years past, the Cerritos College swimming program was year in and year out, one of the most competitive in the state. But after a time where they didn’t compete for the championships, they have returned to the elite. Head coach Joe Abing, who is now in his fifth season as the Falcons coach, led the team to the South Coast Conference championship for the second time in the last three years, including four straight winning seasons. Abing has led the Falcons to a 23-5 record, two SCC titles and two second place finishes, while he was named the SCC Coach of the Year both years they won the title. Last year alone, four relay teams and seven individuals advanced to the state championships, while five new school records were set. In addition, diving coach Glen Myer was voted the SCC Diving Coach of the Year in 2007.
The college has an enrollment of 23,000 students and is located in Norwalk, CA, just minutes from both downtown Los Angeles to the northwest and Orange County to the southeast. There is plenty of local housing in the area, while the college also offers a housing board, which offers rooms for rent at affordable prices in the immediate area.
For more information on Cerritos College and the Falcon swimming program, please feel free to look over the following links:
Note: All prospective student-athletes should contact Joe Abing firstname.lastname@example.org or at (562) 860-2451 ext. 2870 before filling out an application.
College Application | Financial Aid Information | Current Class Schedule
Why Cerritos College?
- Coach Abing - Coach Joe Abing has been coaching water polo and swimming for 14 years. He has coached numerous All-Americans and has a great deal of experience. In 2004, he was voted Coach of the Year for the South Coast Conference, as well as the Southern California Coach of the Year the same season. For swimming, he earned Coach of the Year honors in both 2005 and 2007. Playing for a coach that motivates you can make all the difference. Athletes who have participated at Cerritos have expressed that it was the best decision they made after graduating high school. You can learn more about Coach Abing and his assistants on our website at http://www.cerritos.edu/hpea/athletics/sports/m_water_polo/
- Educational Benefits
- Registration - When you register at Cerritos College you will have priority to your class wish list. You will be one of the first people choosing the classes and instructors you would like. This is a very important part in ensuring your success in the classroom. Most school’s athletes register at the same time as everyone else. At Cerritos, we believe our athletes are making a big commitment and we want to help make sure they get the classes they need to be successful. If you are planning on transferring to a four year university, Cerritos College is the best place to help make that happen.
- Classes - Cerritos has classes to meet all of your transfer needs. We also have special programs in culinary arts, auto mechanics, nursing and many others. Most classes are small compared to large classes of 100-400 students for the same class at a 4-year school.
- Tutoring - We have an Academic Support Center on campus that offers free tutoring. For every subject there is help available to help make sure you are successful.
- Athletic Counselors - To meet your concerns regarding transferring, we have counselors who work specifically with our athletes. Virginia Romero is our full-time counselor who helps those who plan on continuing to compete at the next level.
- Money Savings
- Did you know that at Cerritos College you would be taking the same classes you would at a 4-year university for a fraction of the price? The cost per unit at Cerritos is $20.00, while the average tuition for a semester is around $400.00 at a 4-year university, which is substantially less than what most universities charge. Some of the private schools can cost as much as $20,000.00 for one semester. You can do a lot with the money you save and have it available when you are ready to transfer.
- Athletic Success
- Championships - We have the best program for anyone who wants to compete for a championship. Since Coach Abing has arrived in 2003, our water polo teams have made the playoffs each season. In two of those seasons, our teams went on to the State Championships. In swimming, our teams have won two South Coast Championships and we have had five different individual State Champions.
- All-Americans - In the last six years, Cerritos has produced 11 All-Americans in water polo and 12 in swimming and diving. These numbers will continue to grow, as excellence is a standard at Cerritos.
- New Aquatic Center - Two new pools are currently being built and are expected to open this coming 2009 school year. We will have a 35-meter all-deep pool for water polo and swimming. We will also have a second pool for lap swimming and our swim classes. With a new scoreboard and all new equipment, this should be one of the best facilities in the state.
- Weight Room - During the water polo and swim season we lift weights three times a week. It is nice to have a huge weight room filled with the best equipment you can find.
- Travel - We travel in Charter buses. There is no need to cram into crowded vans because we drive in style. There is plenty of room to sleep, study and watch movies on one of the many TVs.
Men's Swimming Team Questionnaire