Records Retention & Archiving
Departmental File Archiving Process:
Step 1: Request archive boxes
- Boxes are available through the Warehouse Stock Order Form
Step 2: Complete all fields on the fillable Archive Box Label
- Type in all fillable fields, and include the document class
- Boxes need to be full; do not request pickup of partially filled boxes
Step 3: Once completed label has been affixed to boxes to be archived:
- Contact the Warehouse via email to schedule a pickup
- Email should indicate "Archive Box Pickup" in the subject line
Cerritos College retains various documents classified as "records" in accordance with applicable law, to include, but not limited to, the California Education Code, Government Code, and Title V of the California Code of Regulations.
Records retention is the holding period for records for further use. The specific holding period is dependent upon legal requirements and best practices and varies depending on the type of record. Records are classified into the following classifications per the California Code of Regulations, Title V, Section 16020 et seq.:
- Class I: Permanent Records. These records require that the original of one exact copy (unless microfilmed) shall be retained indefinitely as specified in Section 16023 of the California Code of Regulations.
- Class II: Optional Records. These records are not required by law to be retained permanently but may be deemed worthy of further preservation as specified in Section 16024 of the California Code of Regulations.
- Class III: Disposable Records. These records have specific required retention periods and procedures for destruction or transfer as specified in Section 16025 of the California Code of Regulations.
All Class III records which have been held for the required retention periods, and any permanent records that have been classified as Class III records after having been duly microfilmed and held for the required retention period, may be destroyed per Title V, Sections 16026-16027 of the California Code of Regulations.