Cerritos College to present seminars on careers in technology
Areas covered in workshops include composites, engineering and welding
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: July 27, 2011
Media Contact:Aya Abelon, Public Affairs; (562) 653-7878
Program Contact:Cindy Lo, Economic Development; (562) 860-2451, ext. 2511
WHAT: Cerritos College will host a series of seminars on technology careers. The seminars provide participants with a better understanding of composites, engineering and welding and current opportunities within these industries. Participants will have an opportunity to meet the lead instructors with industry experience.
Each seminar will cover:
- Hands-on projects or demonstrations in the covered area
- Information on additional courses and a training roadmap to achieve your educational goals
- Information on how to obtain industry recognized certificates and/or certifications
- information on relevant industries (aerospace, automotive, medical and manufacturing) to pursue a job
Concepts covered in each seminar:
- Various fiber reinforcements
- Fabrication of composite structures
- Resin Transfer Molding (RTM)
- Vacuum bagging processes
- Design software to construct a bridge
- Solder equipment to make an electronic printed circuit board
- Predict deflection on beams
- Program a robot to go through a maze
- Shielded metal arc welding
- Gas metal arc welding
- Cutting processes
- Fabrication equipment
Who Should Attend?
The Technology Career Series is designed for career and workforce managers & counselors, business managers, students, and those in the field of design & analysis, manufacturing & fabricating, composite material, research, and testing & inspection looking to improve their skill sets. The seminars are open to the general public (16 years old and up.)
WHEN: Each seminar consists of four sessions.
Composites for Manufacturing: Four Saturdays (September 17, 24, October 1, 8)
Engineering Technology: Four Saturdays (October 15, 22, 29, November 5)
Welding Technology: Four Saturdays (November 12, 19, December 3, 10)
All seminars are from 9a.m. to 12p.m.
WHERE: Cerritos College Metals Building
11110 Alondra Blvd
Norwalk, CA 90650
A map of the campus is available at www.cerritos.edu/guide
CONTACT: For more information, please see the seminar flyer, or contact Cindy Lo in Economic Development at 562-860-2451, ext.2511. Or register today at www.cerritoscommunityed.com or call 562-467-5050.
COST: $80 for each seminar. Parking is $2 a day for those who do not hold a permit.
Cerritos College serves as a comprehensive community college for southeastern Los Angeles County. Communities within the college's district include Artesia, Bellflower, Cerritos, Downey, Hawaiian Gardens, La Mirada, Norwalk, and portions of Bell Gardens, Lakewood, Long Beach, Santa Fe Springs and South Gate. Cerritos College offers degrees and certificates in more than 180 areas of study in nine divisions. Annually, more than 1,200 students successfully complete their course of studies, and enrollment currently averages 23,000 students. Visit Cerritos College online at http://www.cerritos.edu/.