Welcome to Safe Zone
Next training date: TBA
One of Cerritos College's core values is "celebrating diversity in people, philosophies, cultures, beliefs, programs and learning environments." The Safe Zone Program is an extension of this value. Therefore, the Safe Zone Network is a group of community college members who are committed to addressing issues of importance and safety to the LGBTQ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Questioning/Queer) community through education and advocacy. Members of the Safe Zone Network participate in a four-hour introductory workshop on issues of awareness and resources for the LGBTQ community. Once members have completed training, they will receive a Cerritos College Safe Zone sticker to display, so students will be aware who they can safely approach to ask questions, discuss any issues they may face, or be referred to resources that can assist them.
- The Safe Zone Program's overall objective is for Safe Zone allies to utilize their gained knowledge and skills to foster a supportive and safe atomosphere for LGBTQ students, faculty, and staff.
- As a result of the Safe Zone Program, Safe Zone training participants will become part of an identifiable campus network of Safe Zone Allies.
- Participants will gain knowledge about and an understanding of the expecations of LGBTQ individuals.
- Participants will gain skills on how to support LGBTQ students, faculty, and staff at Cerritos College.
- Participants will gain knowledge of the resources available for LGBTQ students, faculty, and staff at Cerritos College and the surrounding communities.