Future Students Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

As a new student, it is common to have a lot of questions. Listed below are some of the most typical Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):

  • How do I apply for admission?(+)

    Assessment and Orientation-Counseling (AOC) are required prior to enrollment. Please go to required AOC and Cerritos College Early Success Program (ESP) for requirements and details.

    First Enrollment at Cerritos College
    If you are enrolling for the first time at Cerritos College, please complete an admissions application as early as possible prior to the start of enrollment (proof of residence may be required). Here are the Steps to Getting Started

    Continuing Students
    If you were active in the previous session, your enrollment appointment will be available online at MyCerritos.

    If you are returning after an absence of one or more semesters, please complete an admissions application as early as possible prior to the start of enrollment (proof of residence may be required). Here are the Steps to Getting Started

    Distance Education
    Enrollment for Distance Education classes is the same as for other classes. Here are the Steps to Getting Started and Steps for Distance Education Registration.

  • How soon do I need to submit my application?(+)

    Typically, we accept applications as early as February 1st for summer and fall semesters and September 1st for the spring semester.

    Complete your application, assessment, and orientation-counseling by the deadline provided by the Early Success Program (ESP) and you may qualify for an earlier enrollment date.

  • How do I meet with a counselor?(+)

    For office and staff hours, please visit the webpage of our Counseling Department.


    If you are a new to college, first time student, we strongly recommend that you take your assessment tests and complete either an in-person or online New Student Orientation prior to booking an individual appointment with a counselor. Counseling appointments can be made by calling 562.860.2451, Ext. 2231 or in person at the Counseling Department located in the Administration Building, which is adjacent to the Library. Appointments are scheduled on Mondays at 8:00 am for appointments two weeks ahead.

    Stand-by (Walk-in) Counseling

    Stand-by counseling is available on a first-come, first-served basis at the information desk, located in the Student Services Center/Administration Building. The number of stand-by slots is determined each day and dependent on staff availability. Please check the Counseling Department's webpage for our stand-by hours. During peak registration times, you are strongly encouraged to arrive earlier than the posted times for stand-by counseling sign-ups.

    Online Counseling

    Do you have a general question regarding your educational goal at Cerritos College? For the fastest answer, please consult the Counseling Department Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs). Included are answers to questions most commonly submitted to Online Counseling. For more information visit Online Counseling.

  • When can I enroll for classes and when does the semester/session begin?(+)

    Please view our academic calendar or schedule of classes to determine the most current dates.

  • How can I find out when my appointment to enroll is scheduled?(+)

    Enrollment appointments are available through your MyCerritos account. If you have not received your enrollment date, it might be a good idea to verify your enrollment status with Admissions and Records.

    If you are currently enrolled or have applied for the upcoming term, you should be issued an appointment to enroll via MyCerritos. If you have skipped attendance for one semester (fall or spring) and wish to return, you will need to re-apply to reactivate your records.

  • How do I enroll in courses?(+)

    Once you have completed the Steps to Getting Started, you may enroll:

    Use MyCerritos to enroll in classes, make payments, view your financial aid status, class schedule, unofficial transcripts, and more!

    When and Where Can I Enroll on MyCerritos?

    On your appointment date and time, you can access MyCerritos from any location using a web browser.

    MyCerritos Procedures

    For help with MyCerritos, please visit the MyCerritos Student Guide.

  • How much does it cost to attend Cerritos College?(+)

    For fees, please visit the Admissions and Records Student Fees webpage.

  • When are my enrollment fees due?(+)

    Pay All Fees: Board of Governors Fee Waiver (BOGFW) students must follow the same fee schedule when paying lab fees, Cerritos College Student Activities (CCSA) fee, and Health fee. Failure to pay for your fees on time will result in being dropped and/or waitlisted. Payment can be made online through MyCerritos. To view current fees, please visit Admissions and Records Fees.

    1. Enrollment by Appointment - Pay Within 7 Days. Between the start of enrollment and 7 days prior to start of term, fees are due within 7 days. The first day of your enrollment counts as day one. If you add a class to an existing schedule, you will have a new due date.
    2. Open Enrollment- Pay by Friday Before Classes Start. During the open enrollment period, the deadline for payment of fees is immediately. ALL students will be dropped for lack of payment the Friday before classes start.
    3. Instructor Add Period - Pay on the Same Day. Once the semester has begun, only instructors will be able to enroll and add you in a class. The fees are due at time of enrollment. A hold will be placed on your student account and records if you are unable to pay your fees during this period.
  • How do I pay my enrollment fees?(+)

    If you have an enrollment appoinment, all fees are due within 7 calendar days of each transaction. For additional information on fees and deadlines, please refer to the "Paying Your Fees" page in the Schedule of Classes (PDF format) for your current term.

    There are various ways to pay your enrollment fees:

    On the web via MyCerritos

    • After logging in, select "Student Center" on the MyCerritos home page.
    • Under Finances, select "Make a Payment."
    • Fees must be paid by credit card (MasterCard, VISA, Discover or American Express).

    By Mail:

    • MyCerritos will indicate your total fees and the date your payment is due.
    • Enclose a money order or cashier's check, or complete the credit card information on your registration payment coupon. Unfortunately Cerritos College does not accept personal checks. Please make your payment in the exact amount due and print your Student ID number in the "memo" portion of your money order or cashier's check.
    • Enclose your registration payment coupon with your pre-printed Student ID number and name.
    • Send your payment to:

      Admissions and Records
      Cerritos College
      11110 Alondra Boulevard
      Norwalk, CA 90650

    On Campus:

    • Pay your fees on campus in the Admissions and Records Office during their specified hours. You may also drop your fee payment in the box provided in the Admissions and Records office by 3 p.m., Monday through Thursday, for same day processing.
    • Bring your enrollment payment coupon.
    • You will receive an enrollment print-out and receipt.

  • What do I do if the class I want to take is closed? (+)

    There are a few steps you can take to either get into the class or find an alternate solution.

    1. Get on the wait list as soon as possible! You can often do this at enrollment; the sooner you get on the list, the higher your ranking will be. After selecting the class, be sure to check the box, “Wait list if class is full” on MyCerritos before proceeding with the steps to add the class. Also keep checking Schedule Plus because spots can open up and occasionally you could add a class last-minute.
    2. Explore other options and alternatives. Sign up for at least one other class that you can take in place of your desired class, just in case you cannot get it. The last thing you need is to be blocked out from all of the good classes because you thought you would get into your wait-listed one. You may also seek the advice of a counselor who may suggest an alternate class and inform you of other options available.
    3. Have a back-up plan ready. Can you take the same course online? With another professor? At another college nearby? Over the summer? Being creative about your options can help you be creative about a solution in case your original plan does not work out.
    4. Petition the class (instructor-initiated adds). For those of you who may not have succeeded in adding a class, you may try petitioning. This is when you show up the first day that class meets, as sometimes students drop the class or do not show up and the instructor may elect to add you, which is at his or her discretion.
    5. Show up on the first day! Whether you are enrolled, wait listed, or trying to petition a class, be sure to show up on the first day on time and even consider arriving early. There is a possibility that you may be dropped from the class for a first day absence.
  • Do I still have to pay within 7 days after enrolling on the waiting list for a class? What will happen if I do not get in the class?(+)

    Cerritos has a “paid wait list” system. That means that you will need to pay the class fees in order to be placed on a wait list. You may request a refund if you do not get into the class. Be sure to attend on the first day of class to see if you can be enrolled.

  • Post-Enrollment Information(+)

    Pay All Fees: Board of Governors Fee Waiver (BOGFW) students must follow the same fee schedule when paying lab fees, CCSA fee, and Health fee. Failure to pay for your fees on time will result in being dropped and/or waitlisted. Payment can be made online through MyCerritos. To view current fees, please visit Admissions and Records Fees.

    1. Enrollment by Appointment - Pay Within 7 Days. Between the start of enrollment and 7 days prior to start of term, fees are due within 7 days. The first day of your enrollment counts as day one. If you add a class to an existing schedule, you will have a new due date.
    2. Open Enrollment- Pay by Friday Before Classes Start. During the open enrollment period, the deadline for payment of fees is immediately. ALL students will be dropped for lack of payment the Friday before classes start.
    3. Instructor Add Period - Pay on the Same Day. Once the semester has begun, only instructors will be able to enroll and add you in a class. The fees are due at time of enrollment. A hold will be placed on your student account and records if you are unable to pay your fees during this period.

    Parking: Buy your parking permit online before the semester begins and avoid the long lines during the first week. Parking is VERY challenging initially, so it's a good idea to arrive at least 45-60 minutes before your first class. Student semester parking permits can be ordered online by logging into MyCerritos and clicking the link "Buy Parking Permit." Permits may also be purchased on campus at the Admissions and Records office during office hours and at Campus Police during evenings and weekends. This information can be found on our Campus Police's webpage. If you have not purchased a parking permit, you can purchase a day pass for $2 at the permit dispensers.

    There will be no citations during the first week of school in student parking (white stalls only). For summer, no citations will be issued for the first week of the FIRST session only.

    Student ID Card: It is not required to have a student ID card but there are a host of benefits to have your student ID. This includes library access, the Student Health Center, discounts on movie tickets, a free IN-N-OUT meal at the beginning of each semester and discounts off-campus. You will need to go to the Photo ID Center to obtain a student ID card and/or current sticker. Bring a photo ID and have your student number! This is located near the Student Center, at the back of the Game Room during office hours. For more information, please visit the Student Activities Center webpage.

    Your Semester Schedule: Be prepared for the first week of classes! Print out your class schedule a few days before the start of the semester and bring it with you the first week. Print out a campus map from Campus Guide to ensure that you do not get lost.

    Where Can I Purchase Books? You can purchase books online or go to the bookstore. It's recommended to buy your books by the first week of class, if not sooner, to avoid the rush. Book rentals are also available through the bookstore's website.

  • Do you have a Cerritos College academic calendar?(+)

    The academic calendar is available on our home page under Dates & Deadlines.

  • Where can I get a class schedule and/or Cerritos College Catalog? (+)

    Schedule of Classes
    The Schedule of Classes is available to view online.
    You may obtain a free schedule of classes from Admissions & Records or the Cerritos College Bookstore once available.

    Cerritos College Catalog
    The Catalog is available to view online.
    A catalog may be purchased directly from the bookstore for $11.00 (plus tax).

    For further information on obtaining a catalog, please contact the Cerritos College Bookstore at 562-860-2451, Ext. 2462.

  • How often do classes meet?(+)

    This varies. Classes can meet anywhere from once to four days per week. The hours a class weekly meets usually equals the number of units the class is worth. That means most classes will meet three hours per week. The hours can be in a three hour block or spread in a variety of combinations. The most common time arrangement is for a three unit class to meet for 1.5 hours, two days per week. College classes are completed in one semester or less. A semester is usually 18 weeks in length at Cerritos; however, 9-week and 15-week classes are also offered in the spring and fall terms. Please check the Cerritos College Schedule of Classes to acquaint yourself with the varying times and days a class meets.

  • What time do I attend my classes?(+)

    You can arrange your classes to meet your scheduling needs. Your schedule may include both day and evening classes.

    When planning your schedule, remember that classes which meet for consecutive hours will allow you to have enough time to arrive at your next class. For example, if you take a 9 a.m. class which ends at 10 a.m., you may still take a class that starts at 10 a.m. Also, remember that you may not take classes which overlap in time. For example, you may not sign up for a class that begins at 9:30 a.m. if you have another class that is not dismissed until 9:45 a.m..

  • How many units are classes worth?(+)

    Each college course is worth a certain number of units or semester hours. This number is determined by the type of class and the number of hours per week that it meets. For example, a three (3) unit lecture class meets three hours per week during a regular 18-week semester, but a one (1) unit laboratory course meets only one hour per week. At Cerritos College, most classes are worth three units. Some classes are worth as little as a half (0.5) unit.

  • How many units must I take to be considered a full-time student?(+)

    For the fall and spring semesters, a full-time student is one who is enrolled in 12 or more units. During the summer, a full-time student is one who is enrolled in 6 or more units.

  • What is the maximum number of units I can take?(+)

    The college policy for the maximum number of units per semester is 18 (7 units per summer session). If you wish to take more than the maximum units allowed, you must have an established Cerritos College grade point average of 3.0 or above and seek the approval of a counselor.

  • How do I get a student e-mail (.edu) account?(+)

    You must have a current student ID sticker to apply for the student email account at the Learning Resource Center Open Lab or the Library Open Lab.

    For more information, please contact 562-860-2451, Ext. 2186.

  • Where are you located?(+)

    Cerritos College is located in Norwalk, CA off of the 91 and 605 Fwy. Major cross streets are Studebaker Rd. and Alondra Blvd.. The Administration Building/Student Services Center faces North on Alondra Blvd.

    Cerritos College
    11110 Alondra Boulevard
    Norwalk, CA 90650

    Freeway Directions

    From Downtown Los Angeles:
    Take I-5 South to I-605 South, exit I-605 at Alondra Blvd, turn left on Alondra Blvd, take Alondra Blvd East. The college will be on the right just past Studebaker Road.

    From Los Angeles International Airport (LAX):
    Take I-105 East to I-605 South, exit I-605 at Alondra Blvd, turn left on Alondra Blvd, take Alondra Blvd East.

    From John Wayne Airport (Orange County):
    Take I-405 North to I-605 North, exit I-605 at Alondra Blvd, turn right on Alondra Blvd, take Alondra Blvd East.

    Directions to Cerritos College via Google Maps.

  • Where do I park?(+)

    Parking is available in any of the student lots including C-1, C-2, C-5, C-6, C-10 and C-11 (white-lined stalls) with a student or daily permit. Please view the Campus Map for locations. Parking at Cerritos College is by permit only, with the exception of parking meters and motorcycle zones. Permits may be purchased for $2 per day or for $35 per semester.

    Daily Permits

    Daily Permits are available from the permit dispensers located in the parking areas throughout the campus. Each permit is valid only on the day it is purchased and must be displayed, number side up, on the dashboard. This permit is valid only in white-lined student stalls. Daily permits are $2.00 or (8) quarters and should be disposed of after use. No refunds on daily permits are available.

    Student Semester Permits

    Student Semester Permits are paid for during enrollment or anytime during the semester at the Admissions and Records Office. Permits must be properly displayed at all times while parked on campus. Please follow instructions on where to display the permit.

    Disabled Students

    Disabled Students must display a Disabled Person's plate or placard and a student parking permit to be allowed to park in staff stalls.


    Motorcycles are not required to have a parking permit if parked in marked cycle zones. A permit is needed to park in vehicle stalls only.

    Loss of a Permit

    Loss of a permit will require a replacement at full price. Please protect your permit responsibly.

    Possession of a Permit

    Possession of a permit does not guarantee a parking space on campus. It merely authorizes use of the parking areas.

    Parking Violations

    Parking violations will be cited. Citations will be issued to any vehicle on campus not properly displaying a current valid parking permit. Citations are written by Traffic Control Officers, who are also on patrol campus-wide for your safety and assistance. Lock your vehicle. Cerritos College is not responsible for loss or damage to your vehicle on campus.

    Off-Campus Parking

    Off-Campus Parking is extremely restricted. Parking in surrounding residential areas is by city-issued permit only. Student vehicles will be cited by the city. Parking in the shopping centers adjacent to campus is also prohibited by property owners. If your vehicle is parked in these lots, it will be impounded by the property managers at your expense, unfortunately.

  • Do you sell bus passes?(+)

    Cerritos College does not sell bus passes; however, you may visit these links to learn more about bus passes.

    Los Angeles Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA)


    Cerritos College
    11110 Alondra Boulevard
    Norwalk, CA 90650

    Long Beach Transit

    Orange County Transit Authority

    Southern California Rideshare

    Cerritos On Wheels (COW)

  • Do you have a campus map?(+)

    Yes we do! Please visit the Campus Map link.

  • Do you offer off-campus housing?(+)

    Unfortunately, we do not. However, a bulletin board of rental listings is maintained in the Student Activities Center Complex. These listings include rooms, rooms with board, and rentals to share, furnished, and unfurnished apartments and houses.

    For information regarding student housing, please call the Student Activities Center at 562.860.2451, Ext. 2479.

  • If I am undecided about my major, is there assistance in career planning?(+)

    Yes! Career planning is available to any of the following scenarios listed:

    • anyone who is undecided, uncertain, or unsure about choosing their major or career;
    • anyone who is changing their career;
    • anyone who wants to know their options in varying fields.

    How can career counseling help you?

    Career counselors offer a variety of services to help assess your interests, abilities, personality, values, and skills. Work and life experiences can be considered to decide on occupational or education goals.

    For more information, please visit the Career Services Center.

  • How can I find a job while attending Cerritos College?(+)

    The Job Placement Center provides a variety of free employment services to currently enrolled Cerritos College students and alumni.

    Job Binders

    Job binders containing part-time, full-time, and internship listings are available at the Job Placement office in Career Services. Listings are added daily, so visit often!

    Computer Lab Available

    A computer lab is available to students to create or update resumes. We also have computer lab assistants available to help you with the use of the computers. For further information, please contact the Job Placement Office at 562.860.2451, Ext. 2366 or send e-mail to: Job-Placement-Info@cerritos.edu

    You can find jobs through Career Services Job Placement Center at this link: Job Placement. Cerritos College Job Placement is now on Facebook. Please "Like" to get updates on job resources available.

  • I have a disability. What services do you offer?(+)

    If you have limitations due to a disability you may receive support services and instruction from one or more of seven specialized programs at Cerritos College. Those with mobility, visual, hearing, speech, psychological, and other health impairments as well as learning and developmental disabilities are served. Disabled Student Programs and Services (DSPS) have been in operation at Cerritos since 1969.

    For more information, visit this link:Disabled Students Programs and Services (DSPS)

    For an appointment, call 562.860.2451, Ext. 2335; 562.467.5043 (TDD) or 562.467.5006 (FAX).

  • What are the general eligibility requirements for financial aid?(+)

    Please visit Financial Aid's General Eligibility Requirements for detailed information. To apply, please click on Financial Aid Process for step-by-step instructions.

    The Board of Governors Fee Waiver (BOGFW) is a program that provides assistance to cover community college enrollment fees. To learn more, please visit BOGFW.

    For further information, please visit the Financial Aid Office's page.

  • Does Cerritos College have tutoring services?(+)

    The Success Center offers two types of general walk-in tutoring. The first is for math problems or math homework. The other is for papers and writing assignments. Individualized tutoring typically lasts 5 - 15 minutes, depending on the complexity of the issue. You receive tutoring on a first-come, first-served basis. This service is provided by faculty and tutors and available at all hours of operation.

    The Success Center offers a variety of unique workshops taught by faculty and offered several times each semester. Workshops are 50 minutes in length and you can attend as many free workshops as you would like.

    For more information, please visit this link: Student Success Center.

  • Do you have a program for adults who would like to return to school after a break in education?(+)

    Absolutely! Explore new options and expand your career choices through our Re-Entry Resource Program. The fastest, easiest way to find out about enrollment, services, and classes is to begin there. You will get started on a personal action plan which includes: career counseling, personal counseling, orientation, success workshops, educational counseling, enrollment assistance, and financial aid information.

    Many attend college while working, raising children, and having an active personal life. You can receive assistance in setting realistic goals, developing study skills, and managing your time. Also we offer night and weekend classes as well as Distance Education/on-line courses, which is very helpful for students who have young children. In addition, we have a Child Development Center that provides child care services for children 2 1/2 through 5 years of age, at reasonable rates.

    If you would like to learn more about this program, please visit the website: Re-Entry Resource Program

  • Do I have to declare a major?(+)

    It is not necessary to declare a major the first semester you enter. However, you are expected to spend time exploring educational options. We recommend that you take advantage of the Career Center and its counselors. We also suggest that you consider enrolling in a Career Planning class. It is listed as COUN 10 in the class schedule under Counseling and Guidance.

  • What majors/programs of study are offered at Cerritos College?(+)

    For a list of the Majors/Programs of Study offered at Cerritos College, please click on this link

    Programs of Study

  • What is the difference between certificate, associate in arts, and the transfer programs offered through Cerritos College?(+)

    Job Skills
    Course(s) taken to obtain job skills


    • Certificate of Achievement

    A certificate of achievement is granted when coursework is completed in an area of specialization general education courses are not required. This certificate provides you with hands-on training in areas such as woodworking, welding, automotives, court reporting, culinary arts, and cosmetology.

    • Certificate of Completion

    Certificate awarded which is issued by an academic or vocational department.

    • Verification of Completion

    Certificate awarded by the department for a defined course(s).

    • Associate in Arts Degree

    This degree is granted upon completion of two parts, specialized education (department major) and general education coursework. You must complete 60 units of degree applicable work. Earning an associate in arts degree can be completed in two years, but varies depending on part or full-time status and course placement.

    • Transfer

    Transferring includes the completion of courses that satisfy the university's lower division general education and major requirements to obtain your bachelor's degree. You are advised to complete 60 transferable units in order to be eligible for full junior status at the transfer institution.

  • How long will it take me to complete my goal at Cerritos College?(+)

    This depends on how many units you complete per semester. For example, to meet graduation requirements in four semesters, you must carry an average of 15 units or take 12 units per semester and 6 units during the summer session. Meeting graduation requirements in four semesters (2 years) is also contingent upon starting at college-level courses.

  • What do I need to do to transfer to a four-year university?(+)

    Start by developing an education plan with your counselor. The plan will include courses to satisfy the university's lower division general education and major requirements. Your counselor will be able to advise you as to the best-suited combination of courses to reach your educational objective. Throughout your program, touch base with your counselor to stay on track.

    Visit this links for additional information on transferring: Cerritos College Transfer Center

  • Can I take courses at Cerritos College concurrently while being enrolled in middle or high school?(+)

    Yes! Please select Special Admit (grades K-10) or College Bridge (grades 11 - 12) for more information on these programs.

  • What is Distance Education/online courses?(+)

    Distance Education takes place when a teacher and students are separated by physical distance. In place of traditional classroom delivery, voice, video, data, and print are used to bridge the instructional gap. Cerritos College offers both online and hybrid courses.

    Distance Education classes are identified in the published class schedule with the designation "online" or "hybrid." All online and hybrid courses carry full academic credit and the content is equivalent to what you would receive via a more traditional mode of delivery. Students enroll in distance education classes in the same manner as regular classes.

    Click on this link for more information: Distance Education.

  • What is the Learning Communities Program?(+)

    The Learning Communities Program offers a convenient schedule of courses that meet G.E. and transfer requirements. Learning Communities link two or more classes together with a common theme, content, and assignments.

    For further information, please visit the Learning Community Programs webpage.

  • Does Cerritos College offer honors classes?(+)

    The Scholars' Honors Program (SHP) is the academic and social home that Cerritos College provides for talented and motivated students who plan to transfer to four-year institutions. Through this program, you are given the opportunity to enroll in special small-enrollment honors sections of courses needed for transfer and/or conduct independent research with leading faculty members through the Honors Contract program.

    Learn more about the Scholars' Honors Program here: Scholars' Honors Program.

  • What is Teacher TRAC? (+)

    Teacher TRAC's flagship program is a partnership with, but not limited to, California State University Long Beach that lets you complete your bachelor's degree, multi-subject teaching credential, and student teaching in four calendar years. The different pathways they offer are for elementary, secondary, career technology education, and special education.

    Click link to learn more about Teacher TRAC.

  • What is Project Hope (Health Opportunities and Pipeline to Education)? (+)

    Project HOPE (Health Opportunities and Pipeline to Education) is a support program that focuses on increasing the number of underrepresented groups who complete healthcare-related or science-related certificates and/or degrees. Project HOPE takes a holistic approach to supporting student success by providing academic support, leadership skill-building activities, community service opportunities, career counseling, and financial aid/scholarships. Project HOPE strives to make the transition from high school to community college and from community college to the university as smooth as possible.

    Project HOPE can be contacted at 562.860.2451, Ext. 2787 and information can be found on the web at www.cerritos.edu/hope.

  • How do I get involved in athletics?(+)

    Cerritos College is a member of the South Coast Conference. Cerritos men's teams are represented in: baseball, basketball, cross country, football (SCFA), soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field, water polo, and wrestling (SCWA). Cerritos women's teams are represented in: basketball,cross country, soccer, softball, swimming, tennis, track and field, volleyball, and water polo.

    For more information, please visit the Cerritos Falcons website.

  • How do I get involved in student government/activities?(+)

    The purpose of the Student Activities Program and the Associated Students of Cerritos College (ASCC) is to complement your academic goals and enhance your overall educational experience through participation in social, cultural, intellectual, recreational, health, and governance programs.

    For more information, please click the link to Student Activities.

  • Academic Renewal (+)
    Process by which you may petition Cerritos College to eliminate previous substandard work from grade point calculations and credit. For details and how you may qualify, refer to Cerritos College Catalog.
  • Associate in Arts Degree (A.A.) (+)
    Graduation document issued by Cerritos College for completing 60 units, with a grade point average of at least 2.0 including requirements in general education and department major.
  • Bachelor of Arts/Science Degree (+)
    University or college degree earned upon completion of four years (120 units) of college level work.
  • Certificate of Achievement (+)
    The document awarded by Cerritos College, in occupational/career programs, for competing requirements for a major, as specified in the college catalog.
  • Closed Class (+)
    Prior to enrollment, the enrollment capacity of each class is determined. When the number of students enrolling in the class reaches capacity during enrollment, the class is considered "closed."
  • College Catalog (+)
    College publication describing academic programs, student services, general regulations, requirements, and procedures. All classes offered by the college are described, including information such as unit value transferability and prerequisites. Cerritos College Catalog Online.
  • Disqualification (+)
    The procedure of dismissing a student from Cerritos College for poor academic achievement, or for incurring excessive course withdrawals.
  • Electives (+)
    Courses that are not required subjects, but are taken out of personal interest for unit credit.
  • Enrollment (definition) (+)
    Official process of enrolling in classes. The process must be repeated each semester/summer intersession in which you wish to be enrolled.
  • General Education (GE) Certification (+)
    A process wherein Cerritos College verifies that students transferring to any of the twenty-three CSU campuses, or any of the nine UC campuses have completed their lower division of General Education requirements. Certification occurs only upon your request.
  • General Education (Breadth) Requirements (+)
    A specific group of course requirements, usually outside and in addition to your major, that must be met in order to obtain an associate or bachelor's degree.
  • Major (+)
    An organized body of required classes in your main area of study.
  • Prerequisite (+)
    Requirement that you must meet prior to enrolling in a particular course. Completing a more basic course or obtaining a minimum score on a placement exam may be required. Prerequisites for courses are listed in both the schedule of classes and the Cerritos College Catalog.
  • Probation, Academic (+)
    This occurs when you have completed at least 12 semester units and your GPA falls below a 2.0 in all units taken at the college.
  • Probation, Progress (+)
    This occurs when a student has attempted at least 12 units and the percentage of all units attempted reaches or exceeds 50 percent of all grades at Cerritos College. Grades used to calculate attempted units include "W", "I", "NP", "NC," and all letter grades.
  • Program Change (+)
    Official process of adding or dropping a class(es) from your course of study. Confer with your counselor prior to such action.
  • Program of Study (+)
    Courses taken that lead towards a certificate of achievement, associate in arts degree, or transfer to a four year university.
  • Schedule of Classes (+)
    Issued prior to each semester's enrollment period, this college publication lists the days and hours of each class offered its location and instructor. Schedules are available at the college bookstore, Admissions and Records, and online through Schedule Plus.
  • Transcript (+)
    A copy of your academic record at the college, including units and grades earned in all terms of attendance.
  • Transfer courses (+)
    Classes which are accepted for credit towards a bachelor's degree at four year colleges.
  • Unit (+)
    A value which indicates the amount of credit given to a class. It often reflects the amount of time required for class attendance. Thus, a three unit lecture class would require class attendance for three hours per week.
  • Withdrawal (+)
    Process by which you officially drop any class or all classes in a term.