Academic Renewal

An Academic Renewal procedure permits alleviation of previously recorded sub-standard academic performance which is not reflective of a student's present demonstrated ability and level of performance. The permanent academic record shall be annotated in such a manner that all work remains legible, ensuring a true and complete academic history.

  1. A student may request that up to 30 units of substandard course work attempted to be annotated and disregarded in the computation of the student's grade point average or requirements for a degree. Only those requested courses with substandard grades will be disregarded.
  2. At least twenty-four (24) units of college work from an accredited institution with a grade point average of 2.0 must be completed after the 30 units of coursework to be alleviated.
  3. A student may be granted academic renewal only once.
  4. No alleviated course work shall apply toward degree requirements.
  5. In the petition, the student must specify the course(s) to be considered under the academic renewal policy as well as the term in which the course work was attempted.
  6. Some senior-level institutions and, possibly, certain out of state community colleges do not honor academic renewal. It is the student's responsibility to insure that his/her transfer institution will approve of academic renewal from Cerritos College. 


A student may petition for academic renewal at the Office of Admissions Records, & Services.