Web Handbook - Acceptable Use Statement
ACCEPTABLE USE STATEMENT FOR COMPUTER USER ACCOUNT
This statement represents Cerritos College's policy for the acceptable use of the World Wide Web and resources for data communications. Since access from Cerritos College can provide users with electronic mail capabilities, this document covers Intranet as well as Internet communications. Please note that because users may access a number of computer networks, acceptable use policies of those other networks apply and may limit use. Use of the Cerritos College Web Site implies acceptance of standards outlined in this document.
STATEMENT OF POLICY
1 . Cerritos College computer accounts should be used for activities that support the work of the institution. Use for commercial, fund-raising and illegal purposes is not acceptable. Personal use may be restricted if the resources consumed interfere with equitable access to other users and the utilization of the system for school business purposes.
- Direct marketing of products and services of any kind is not allowed.
- Links to external sites which market required or recommended instructional materials are allowed only if such links appear in the context of other required and recommended instructional materials, more than one source for such materials is listed and the materials are available at the campus bookstore and shelved with instructional items.
- References to external sites which market non-instructional products and services such as consulting services, etc., are allowed only in the context of a resume listing.
- Links to external sites using direct marketing language such as "consulting services" is not permissible.
2. It is not acceptable to use a computer account to transmit threatening, obscene, or harassing or otherwise inappropriate materials.
3. It is not acceptable to use a computer account so as to interfere with or disrupt network users, services, or equipment.
4. It is assumed that information and resources accessible via the INTERNET AND INTRANET are private to the individuals and organizations which own or hold rights to those resources and information unless specifically stated otherwise. It is therefore not acceptable for an individual to use their computer account to access information or resources unless permission to do so has been obtained.
5. Users must access ONLY those computer accounts which have been authorized for their use.
6. Users are responsible for their accounts. They should protect the confidentiality of their logon user names and passwords and should not share such codes with others. Users should provide protection features on their systems including virus protection and take precautions against others obtaining access to their computer resources, Cerritos College Intranet, and the Internet.
7. Abuse of computing privileges will result in the loss of a user's computer account.